What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd respond with an alert, in that there's an apparent missing page, with a proposal of a partnership.

So...... I just went outside to see what weeds looked like around my heatpump, since the tech is on his way...... and I found a problem..... I don't remember this being this way a month ago, but I could be wrong.

What do you think? More rats maybe? I have seen a few mice but in 17 years, I have never seen this. After the tech leaves, I am going to do a thorough walk around the perimeter of the house.20241021_132504.jpg20241021_132516.jpg20241021_132522.jpg20241021_132527.jpg20241021_132709.jpg

Shan, hmmm.. Now I'm curious about what created those mounds and tunnels. Peppermint oil is a deterrent for most rodents and is safe for dogs. Not safe for cats but is usually not too dangerous if they aren't eating it or inhaling too much.

Took mom to assessor's office and their records show both parcels in the property as having her name on them (there was some fancy term on one indicating that the spouse also owns it). Said we'd have to see a lawyer about succession for the property. Could not find the deed anywhere. Checked the safety deposit box contents. Nope. Busted hump to clear a path to the closet door and had to get my brother to open it (the knob fell off) and found the file cabinet is full of junk. Documents going back to at least the 70s. Tax forms, appliance manuals, receipts, insurance reports, photos and blueprints of an older house, computer game walkthroughs, medical bills, power bills, a receipt from a local hardware store from back in the 80s... Tons and tons of papers we will have to sort through. Mom said they burned the original mortgage paperwork once it was paid off. Apparently that was a thing-- burning the papers to signify being done with the mortgage and owning the house free and clear.

Stopped by Walmart after going to the courthouse and regristrar's but they didn't have riding carts available. Put Mom in one of those new carts you push. She hated it and had trouble getting out of it. Grabbed some groceries and headed home. About halfway there I feel a tug & tire pressure alert went off. Then I heard the sound of a flat tire. Fortunately, it was on one of the wider spots on the road where the ditches were almost non-existent. Pulled over and tried to air it up but it wasn't taking air. Pump kept shutting off. Called my brother to come pick up Mom and the groceries and bring his stronger air pump. Let it sit pumping for a long time but tire just leaked it all out. Put it away and got stuck in a menu and having to get texts and whatever from state farm's roadside assistance. They contacted a tow service since the spare tire is bad. ETA was 90 to 120minutes.

Got a call from the tow truck driver saying he was out in Leesville and could reach me in maybe 50 minutes- but said it could be faster with the way he drives. He's familiar with the area so he knew about the caution light near the house with deer statues out front. He made it in less than 50. Had my brother come back to grab some of the other groceries that I forgot about. Towtruck guy said he saw another broken down vehicle on the way and wondered it he'd get called to tow it. Only options for towing were some place I'd never heard of or Walmart auto area. Chose Walmart-- well lit, security cameras, etc. Nice dude.

Called bro to come pick me up and we went to Walmart so I could get the keys back and lock the truck. Unfortunately their auto department had closed for the day. I'd spent a good amount of time trying to get the tire to inflate while listening to Stranded In the Middle of No Place by the Righteous Brothers. Tow guy met up, gave us keys, and said he was going to get some food. He'd been to Texas and back. Also said he hadn't had a day off in 3 months. He parked in the fire lane with his truck still running and said "You think they'll have me towed?" LOL. He didn't take too long inside.

Bro and I grabbed some stuff to eat right away. He ate his popcorn chicken on the way home and I waited until we got home to eat. Got another sandwich for Mom. Still need to take apart the chicken but I'm exhausted.

Oh, while I was waiting for the tow truck the nice guy who bush hogs my yard stopped to check on me. He felt awful that there was nothing he could do to help. He also wants to buy the property when/if we move. I mentioned the letter from some developer and that I was not interested in selling to a landgrab place that would probably turn it into a parking lot. He's going to try to get one of those big rolls of hay for my cows and I'm going to ask for the receipt to make sure I pay him the right amount because I don't want him spending his $ on it and not being reimbursed. he's refused to take $ in the past. Really sweet guy. I wish he was the one who lived closer to us.

The attny can arrange for new title docs. so, have a very frank discussion with your mom.

Since there are 2 parcels, ask where the proposal for a partnership was?

Then, eventually, carve out 5acres, 4bdrm, furnished and life tenancy.

Remember, they want, and a want is something you fix, or get over.

Back