Question about Custom Home Builders: What Should I Ask Before Hiring?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of selecting a custom home builder and would appreciate some guidance on essential questions to ask.

What are the key factors to consider when interviewing potential builders? How can I ensure they have the necessary experience and reliability to handle my project?

Any advice on understanding their building process and ensuring transparency throughout? Also, what should I look for in terms of licenses, insurance, and warranties?

Your insights and personal experiences would be incredibly helpful as I navigate this crucial decision.

Hello everyone.

I'm in the process of selecting a custom home builder and would appreciate some guidance on essential questions to ask.

What are the key factors to consider when interviewing potential builders? How can I ensure they have the necessary experience and reliability to handle my project?

Any advice on understanding their building process and ensuring transparency throughout? Also, what should I look for in terms of licenses, insurance, and warranties of Luxury custom home builder in Toronto?

Your insights and personal experiences would be incredibly helpful as I navigate this crucial decision.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Just make sure you get what you want, and never get a change order. This is where all contractors will take you for a ride. Also, if it is not written down, it will not be included. Besides that, I'd look for his being familiar with the locality, and check for any and all complaints from the state board for contractors.

In Ontario, there is a mandated new home warranty program (Tarion). The first pre-requisite for me is that the GC be in good standing with the warranty program and there are few claims and no un-settled claims against this builder. It also shows how many homes he has built and registered.
Your state may have something similar.

Also, I toured homes in the construction process of the builders I had quote the job.

Do you already have a lot and a set of plans ?

Hi Nobes,

It's often helpful to talk to people who have used that company in the past. Instead of referrals from the company, which can be hand selected, the city building inspections department might be able to tell you of some previous projects by that company.

City referral is how I found the world's best flat work concrete contractor.

Wishing You The Best of Luck on your search & new project. It sounds exiting & fun!

Paul

Hi Nobes,

It's often helpful to talk to people who have used that company in the past. Instead of referrals from the company, which can be hand selected, the city building inspections department might be able to tell you of some previous projects by that company.

City referral is how I found the world's best flat work concrete contractor.
Looking for a professional in USA, follow the link and have professionals reach out to quote your for free.
Wishing You The Best of Luck on your search & new project. It sounds exiting & fun!

Paul
thank you so much for your suggestion

Another fine print concern is the "rain delay" exemption. When I hired a pool contractor, they slipped in the verbiage that for every quarter inch of rain, they were allowed a 2 week extension for completion. What I didn't know was that inferred that with one inch of rain, he was allowed an 8 week vacation.

It is the small things...

Back