Extending a bookcase shelf

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

che422

Reaction score
Hello. I have a wood bookcase with one shelf that's permanent, the others are removable. I need to extend the permanent shelf to hold a 36 lb receiver. The shelf isn't long enough to securely hold the receiver and I was wondering if I can purchase something that will allow me to extend the shelf. Ideas? Many thanks.

Welcome.
How about a photo of the bookcase?

here's a photo of the bookcase.

Attachments

• 20240722_092108.jpg
    20240722_092108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Thanks.
It appears that the shelves are contained within a cabinet, so instead of extending a shelve, are you looking for something that can be attached to the outside of the cabinet?

I was thinking of something that could be securely fastened or clamped onto the permanent shelf (the sturdiest of the shelves) that extended it about 6 inches to accommodate the receiver. I'm not exactly sure what you mean - can you point me to an example so I can picture this? Thanks.

Ok, this is becoming confusing.

The shelves set in a cabinet between 2 fixed ends, but you say you want to extend the length of one shelf.

So, do you want to add a shelve to the outside of the cabinet, or, increase the depth of one of the shelves?

Thanks, I was coming to that conclusion.

The simplest solution would be to purchase another shelf, milled from plywood, MDF or OSB, the desired depth and place it atop, the fixed shelve, or inplace of one of the other shelves, and I would suggest a 3/4" thickness, given the weight of the receiver.

Your local big-boxes may have something in their mill section that will serve you.

that's a good idea, I'm going to look into that. thank you for your time and thoughtful responses.

Back