I suppose here is the appropriate forum... Tool shed construction.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is scary stuff! In WNC we just build or buy sheds w/o asking. But I suspect our freedoms are being diminished even as I type.

In some cases the min. footprint for a bedroom is 7' X 10', so sheds become really restrictive as to location, height, access, etc.

"all residential construction of concrete foundations must have full 12" by 16" footings in a 6" thick slab, with #4 rebar and be inspected. Two sets of construction drawings signed by a certified engineer must be provided, and a full building permit including electrical and plumbing drawings must be submitted before construction begins."

He says that to 30 other people every single day, hates his job and hates his life.

Why do you have an aversion to a wood floor vs concrete. I built a 16'x12' shed with a 3/4" wood floor and it held my Kubota yard tractor just fine. I would have needed a permit and inspection if I used a concrete floor. The problem with your question about the IBC for a shed is local codes could be quite different and supercede the national codes. You could also put a good set of plans together for what you want to do, as mentioned, and apply for a variance. Too bad you building department sucks, ours have always been very helpful. They just want you to do it right.

This is scary stuff! In WNC we just build or buy sheds w/o asking. But I suspect our freedoms are being diminished even as I type.

Yeah, I would need a permit for electric and a new septic, but I can build whatever I want as long as it's 20 feet from the property line. No need to tell anybody.

Back about 1974 in this city, I sketched out a 26' x 22' garage on a 9" x 11" sheet of paper, handed it in, and built it... keeping 3' off the rear alley line for utility right-of-ways...
I think we are allowed to have up to a 12' x 16' shed on skids no questions asked...

Latest posts

Back